With my busy life circuit training is a must. It’s fast, efficient and combines cardio and resistance training into one 30 grueling minute workout. WebMD.com describes it as:
“Circuit training is short bursts of resistance exercise using moderate weights and frequent repetitions, followed quickly by another burst of exercise targeting a different muscle group. Because the exerciser switches between muscle groups, no rest is needed between exercises. This gets the heart rate up, which usually doesn’t happen during resistance exercise. Sometimes, to up heart rate further, aerobics are sprinkled between the resistance exercises.” – WebMD.com
My intepretation? A self-punishing, yet beneficial exercise. Read on for my regimen after the jump.
Pick out six to 10 exercises that work a variety of muscle groups. Three sets should take you about 30 minutes. I like to run through the entire circuit of exercises before taking a brief rest. There are infinite possibilities for routines so get creative. You can search Google or YouTube for inspiration. I prefer circuit training with a friend so you can push/torture each other. If you really want to dole out punishment then let me recommend the Sliding Mountain Climber (cue evil laugher).
- Find a smooth surface like the hardwood floor of the studio at your gym.
- Get into the top position of a push-up.
- Place a folded towel under each foot (hence sliding).
- Start by sliding your right knee up under your chest while maintaining the push-up position.
- Slide your right leg back into the starting position while bring your left leg up to take its place.
- Repeat this for one minute with the first 30 seconds at a brisk steady pace and the last 30 seconds at a sprint.
- When it’s over hope your friend will still speak to you.
Don’t lunge or pick your feet up off the floor.
Supplement Recommendation: Whey Protein is derived from cow’s milk and is one of the best sources of protein for your body. Taking whey protein 30 minutes after working out will give your body the building blocks it needs to build strong lean muscles. Additionally, whey protein helps maintain a healthy immune system and can help keep your metabolism burning hot. Check out the Whey Protein Institute for an in-depth look at all of whey protein’s benefits. Drinking protein should be a daily part of life for anyone who is committed to their health and fitness.
BodyTech Whey Protein: $19 (~$0.50 per serving) @ Vitamin Shoppe
Don’t forget to e-mail Patrick with questions or comments.
ADVENTURE IS ONE CLICK AWAY
Subscribe to GP for a daily dose of the best in gear, adventure, design, tech and culture. 5pm sharp.