It’s not that we ever need a reason to drink, but when one presents itself – especially one of such distinction as National Scotch Day – we’re obliged to raise our glass. The origin of this boozy holiday, like most, is shrouded in mystery and probably found life on the cocktail napkin of some marketing executive. But now’s no time to pull threads; there’s drinking to do.
This holiday, we’ll be drinking the brand new Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve ($125) and, of course, pairing it with a cigar. This Dalmore expression is aged in two different types of barrels; it spends 70 percent of its time in Olorosso Sherry casks and the remaining 30 percent in used bourbon barrels. The Sherry casks lend the powerful notes of fruit, nuts and spice, while the bourbon casks round out the whiskey with sweeter notes of vanilla and toffee.
All together, The Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve is a complex dram, full of aromas and flavors that range from orange marmalade and honey to spice and lots of fruit, including dry raisins and sweet pears. These vibrant, muscular characteristics were aimed at cigar-loving whiskey drinkers, and for the most part, they hit the mark. The single malt’s lush, full flavors stand up nicely to a full-bodied cigar, with each complementing the other in a feat of hedonistic synergy.
So this holiday (it’s best to check with HR, but surely your office is closed), kick back with some Scotch and a cigar. And should you require a primer on smoking that cigar, we’ve got you covered.
Buy Now: $125
ADVENTURE IS ONE CLICK AWAY
Subscribe to GP for a daily dose of the best in gear, adventure, design, tech and culture. 5pm sharp.