- LIFE ON THE ROADCHOOSING THE RIGHT CAR FOR ANY ROAD TRIP
- Ferrari FFIf you want to bomb around on snowy mountain roads with three friendsSeats: 4, really
Engine: 6.3-liter V12, 651 hp
Street Cred: "Practical" Ferrari
Paris (Aeroplane Remix) by Friendly Fires
Ideal Road: All-wheel-drive means any road, but the Italian Autostrade if it's in your grasp.
- ’78 Firebird Trans Am Special EditionIf you’re running from the altar and/or the law (mustache not included)Seats: 2+2
Engine: 5.0-liter V8, 220 hp
Street Cred: The 80s
Soundtrack: East Bound and Down by Jerry Reed
Ideal Road: Route 66 or at least one with a few smokies to toy with.
- Tesla Model SIf you can stop for several hours every few hundred milesSeats: 5
Engine: 85kWh electric, 362 hp
Street Cred: Green hero
Soundtrack: Punching In A Dream by The Naked And Famous
Ideal Road: Pacific Coast Highway (Don't forget the charging stations)
- VW Golf GTIIf you're a practical performance nut on a budgetSeats: 4
Engine: 2.0-liter inline-4-cyl, 200 hp
Street Cred: Affordable performance
Soundtrack: Harm in Change by Toro Y Moi
Ideal Road: Evo Triangle, Wales
- Rolls Royce PhantomIf you’re a high roller looking to roll in a RollerSeats: 4. Fight the temptation to sit in the back.
Engine: 6.7-liter V12, 453 hp
Street Cred: "What do the plebeians on the street think, Jeeves?"
Soundtrack: Yours and Mine by Billie Holiday
Ideal Road: Jebel Hafeet, United Arab Emirates en route to your oil field. Naturally.
- Porsche Cayenne TurboIf you can’t fit all your friends in your 911Seats: 5.
Engine: 4.8-liter V8, 500 hp
Street Cred: It may not be a 911, but for long hauls you'll love it even more.
Soundtrack: It's Time by Imagine Dragons
Ideal Road: 'Ze Autobahn, Tommy.
- Volkswagen EurovanIf your inner hippie wins out over every rational instinct you haveSeats: 7
Engine: 2.8-liter V6, 201 hp
Street Cred: Seriously old school
Soundtrack: Think You Can Wait by The National
Ideal Road: The Alcan Highway, Canada to Alaska -- then onto the rest of the continent.
- BMW E39 M5 TouringIf it existedSeats: 4
Engine: 5.0-liter V8, 400 hp
Street Cred: Unassuming looks, beast under the hood
Soundtrack: Bonafied Lovin' by Chromeo
Ideal Road: Route 62, South Africa. You'll pass nearly 70 wineries en route.
- Land Rover Range Rover EvoqueIf you want to turn heads on- and off-roadSeats: 4
Engine: 2.0-liter turbo inline-4, 240 hp
Street Cred: A looker in town or in the dirt
Soundtrack: Change by Churchill
Ideal Road: Ticlio Pass, Peru. Highest paved (and sometimes not) road almost 5000 meters above sea level.
- Caterham 7If you are eccentric. Or simply don’t value your own comfort (or life)Seats: 2
Engine: 1.6-liter inline-4, 125 hp
Street Cred: Eccentricity
Soundtrack: I'm Shakin' by Jack White
Ideal Road: Milford Road, New Zealand. Mind-blowing scenery and not a Hobbit in sight.
We dream up our road trip fantasy rides
Life on the Road: Choosing the Right Car for Any Road Trip
When it’s time to make tracks — whether you’re escaping the daily grind or heading to the next adventure — few things will make or break your time on the open road more than the vehicle you’re piloting. Sometimes it’s best to tailor your ride to the destination; sometimes, the car itself should play more of a starring role in your road trip story than your map waypoints do. Why not go all out? From fun-to-fling to made-to-cruise to needs-to-be-seen, we dreamed up our ten fantasy road trip cars, one ideal for every getaway.
Head to the next page for all the details.