Good morning. Just in time to coincide with last night’s Grammy Awards, Prince’s entire Warner Bros. catalog is now available on Spotify, Apple Music and more. It’s the first time since 2015 that the late superstar’s music has been available for streaming on all major services, and is a significant turning point in the fight for Prince’s closely guarded estate. (Prince, to many of his younger fans’ dismay, didn’t believe in streaming services.) Don’t have a Spotify Premium subscription? Here’s how to get it for free.
• A friendly reminder that Valentine’s Day is tomorrow — see our Amazon Prime-friendly gift picks here.
• Here is what you missed last week.
• Here is a whole slew of deals we’ve been scoping.
Read Up on Our Latest
• 7 can’t-fail tips for serving wine — for a dinner party, a date or just for fun.
• Our Tech writers like the new Chromebook, but there’s one thing wrong with it.
• Speaking of, here’s the difference between a laptop, a Chromebook and a tablet — and which should you buy.
• Google’s assistant has finally come to 4K TVs, thanks to Sony.
• Check out Seiko’s entry-level enamel watch before you commit to something Swiss.
• Want this briefing via email? Subscribe to the Gear Patrol Dispatch.
What’s New, Now
Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Don’t believe what the 5K OLED TV evangelists tell you — Blu-ray ain’t dead. According to Engadget, Sony has a new 4K Blu-ray player coming out in March (along with a few new 4K TVs), that will soon be available for pre-order on Amazon.
Rolls Royce Project Cullinan
It’s code-named the Cullinan, after the largest diamond ever discovered.
Travelteq RFID Wallets
Three premium leather wallets — one passport holder, two card holders — with an aluminum film woven invisibly into the lining, creating a cyber pickpocketer-proof force field. (Though, being Travelteq, they’ll likely still draw lots of attention, so watch out for kleptomaniacal style fiends.)
“Bomba” Thomas Prior Photography Book
For 400 years, the people of San Juan de la Vega, a small town in central Mexico, have held a breathtaking annual ceremony: residents strap packets of fertilizer and other chemicals to sledgehammers and swing them violently against steel rails, causing explosions and plumes of sulfuric smoke. American photographer Thomas Prior documented the event and compiled his observations in this coffee-table-worthy photo book.
Sony’s New 4K TVs Are the First With Google Assistant
Pre-order now. Hitting U.S. shelves this March.
Pirelli Design x Blossom High Performance Rubber Ski
New from the world of winter sports are these skis from Pirelli and Blossom. The collaboration utilizes a Pirelli rubber compound sandwiched into the ski construction to help reduce vibration and ski chatter. To be fair, this isn’t the first time that this has been done — Revision has been using a similar technique for the past few years. But the skis look sleek and design-forward and are sure to turn heads out on the slopes. – AJ Powell, Associate Staff Writer
Next Page: Happy Hour Talking Points, Essential Reads, and More