Good morning. A group of Harvard scientists claims to be two years away from resurrecting the wooly mammoth, a gigantic furry elephant that went extinct 4,000 years ago. Using an advanced gene-editing process called CRISPR (something that’s recently been in the news for other, more sinister reasons), the scientists believe they can merge wooly mammoth DNA with that of an Asian elephant’s, creating a “mammophant.” As for humans, it remains unclear when we’ll be given fish gills and angelic wings.
• Here’s a reminder of yesterday’s gear news.
• Here are fresh deals you need to know about.
• Today at 12 p.m. EST on Facebook Live, we’re showing you some of the cool new gear in our office. Tune in and share your thoughts.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• Airbnb isn’t always the hippest way to travel, and this new hotel chain proves it.
• There’s a science to taking great photos of cars. Learn it.
• We peeled back the curtain to find the unsung heroes of the Volcom Pipe Pro surf competition in Oahu, Hawaii.
• McDonald’s engineered a ridiculously complex drinking straw to maximize Shamrock Shake slurping power.
• There’s a ton of reasons to be excited about the new Ferrari 812 Superfast.
• Reminisce on the breathtakingly beautiful supercars of the ’90s.
• Speaking of vintage cars: here’s a chronograph that’ll suit your vintage car fancy.
• Want this briefing via email? Subscribe to the Gear Patrol Dispatch.
What’s New, Now
J.Crew Stretch Collection
J.Crew’s newest collection includes jeans, chinos, shorts and even suiting, all of which look like regular ol’ great-looking J.Crew clothes, but thanks to a special elastane fabric, they feel like something you’d wear playing tennis or doing wheelies on a dirt bike.
Canon 77D DSLR
The 77D is Canon’s newest micro-segment of DSLR for people who feel like the $750 for an EOS Rebel is simply too cheap and the $1,100 for an 80D is an outrageous sum to pay. The 77D shares most of its guts with the Rebel (including a 24.2MP APS-C sensor and a 45-point AF system), but for your extra $150 you’ll get a more advanced light metering sensor and a top-mounted LCD that shows relevant settings (actually a really nice addition). If you’re dead set on getting a Canon DSLR and don’t mind losing some weather sealing from the 80D, the 77D is your value play. (And if you’re not set on a DSLR, check out the Fujifilm X-T20 or the Sony a6300) – Henry Phillips, Photography Manager
Caavo Set-Top TV Box
How hard is it to change the input on your TV?
Mazama Wares Jade Glassware Collection
Handblown in Portland, Oregon, each of these soda-lime glasses has its own unique characteristics and glows like ethereal jade. Available in three sizes: 8-ounce tumbler, 13-ounce wine glass and 20-ounce pint.
Ferrari 812 Superfast
It’s time to put the F12 out to pasture.
Best Made Co. Reinforced Osaka Thermal Jacket
The comfort of a USA-made cotton hoodie, merged harmoniously with a gale-resistant thermal outer layer. Outside, a cotton satin shell sourced from Japan; inside, a premium waffle-knit thermal liner. An excellent springtime garment.
Next Page: Happy Hour Talking Points, One Thing to Watch and More