Good morning. NASA has just announced the discovery of TRAPPIST-1, a new solar system containing multiple planets that might be capable of supporting alien life. The relatively dim star supports seven planets, six of which appear to be rocky and three of which sit in the Goldilocks Zone — the region around a star that has the right temperature conditions for liquid water. Scientists will now spend the next ten years analyzing these new planets’ atmospheres for evidence of alien activity (we’re talking molecules, not flying saucers).
• Here’s a reminder of yesterday’s gear news.
• Join us at 11:30 a.m. EST on Facebook Live for a showdown between the Chromebook Pro and the iPad Pro. Tomorrow, check back in at noon to see what gear we’ve got our hands on this week.
• Want this briefing via email? Subscribe to the Gear Patrol Dispatch.
DUER No Sweat Pants
Using a special blend of fabric — cotton for familiar comfort, Tencel for absorbing moisture and odor, polyester for strength and spandex for stretch — DUER’s No Sweat pants are among the most versatile and cozy you’ll find. They’re able to withstand prolonged physical activity without needed washing or repairs. Just one pair will replace five of those old worn-out rags squished at the bottom of your closet.
Pappy Van Winkle’s Latest Release Is Its Oldest Bourbon to Date
First distilled in the original Stitzel-Weller Distillery and bottled in handmade glass decanters.
The All-New Range Rover Velar Is a Vintage Callback
From what there is to see, it’s a welcome addition to the Range Rover family.
The Best Way to Buy Niche Outdoor Gear Just Got Better
Big Outdoors and Garage Grown Gear are merging, and that’s good news for you.
How to Save $95 on a New Pair of Glasses
“Trade up” an old pair and get a discount on a new pair.
Runners, You Can Now Use Strava Without Your Phone
Logging miles on Strava just got a whole lot lighter.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on The Hill-Side apparel, a Therm-A-Rest sleeping pad and Timberland boots.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• Technology advances on a daily basis, and so do the conversations around it.
• Hybrid cars just got a lot cooler, thanks to Porsche.
• Babu Ji’s chef Jessi Singh on his three favorite knives.
• 24 quality coats, from arctic parkas to motorcycle jackets.
• Sorry, but your Instagram shot of that dilapidated old building is played out.
• Like wine or bourbon, classic watches have become better (and more expensive) with time.
Next Page: Happy Hour Talking Points and One Thing to Watch