• Fresh Apple Gossip: iPhone 8 rumors have been popping up on the internet like Whack-a-Moles for some time now, but last week, one rogue developer uncovered what appears to be our most accurate look yet at the final model, due out later this year. The new insights, which were found buried within the code of a leaked pre-release version of the upcoming HomePod firmware, suggest that the iPhone 8 will ditch Touch ID and instead use advanced facial recognition software, the front screen will feature a small “notch” at the top, Retina resolution will be bumped up significantly, and the Home Button will go all-digital.
• In Case You Missed It: Here’s yesterday’s gear news.
• More Gear: To get this briefing, other Gear Patrol stories and exclusive offers directly to your inbox, subscribe to Gear Patrol’s daily or weekly newsletter.
What’s New, Now
A Sleek Duffel for Singin’ In the Rain
Rains Water-Resistant Weekend Bag: Rains focuses exclusively on making kick-ass rainwear. (It shows in their name.) Now they’ve got a kick-ass rainproof duffel.
Related Post: 5 Hard-Wearing Duffels, Purpose-Built for Adventure
Technical Polos Are a Thing Now
Mission Workshop G6 Polo: This is not your average polo shirt.
Related Post: Want a T-Shirt Alternative? Look to the Polo
A Mechanical Pen for People Who Don’t Like Click-y Mechanical Pens
Koh-i-noor Metal Mechanical Pencil: Less of a mechanical pencil, more of a sleek metal sleeve for slipping over lead sticks. Equal parts old-fashioned and modern.
Related Post: 5 Great Pencils, Picked by a Fanatic
Show Your Love for the Orange and Black Tribe
The Harley-Davidson Book A beautiful, photo-rich, historical compendium on all things Harley-Davidson, the legendary American company that shaped the world of motorcycles as its known today.
Related Post: Octane Icon: Harley-Davidson Sportster
A Capable, Party-Ready Bluetooth Speaker
Libratone ZIPP MINI: The ZIPP MINI has, like, a gazillion features. The most important: crisp, bass-heavy sound.
Related Post: Great iPhone 7 Headphones for Dongle-Haters
Slice Rope, Open Bottles, Turn Heads
Kershaw Pub Knife: Now that’s an unconventional blade.
Related Post: The 25 Best Craft Breweries in America
Search and State PJ-1 Packable Expedition Jacket
From the Gear Patrol Store: The PJ-1 is a Hooded Packable Expedition Jacket. The idea to build this garment came from weeks on the Search Brigade and the need for the ultimate packable performance jacket for riding and exploring (that can also be worn off the bike in causal conditions). The P1-J is multi-purpose and performs in all environments, with rich styling details and technical features.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on some Nike shoes, Master & Dynamic headphones and Merrell hiking shoes.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• Here’s what to look for when buying a used bike — mountain, road, or hybrid.
• See what tech gear we tested last week, from headphones to iPhone lenses.
• We hand picked five cars under $20,000 that you’ll love.
• Chinos are perfect for any outfit. But which ones should you buy when every brand makes a pair?
• Get a free knife with this Victorinox watch.
•Your dog needs to match your mountain-man lifestyle. That’s a given.
Note: If you purchase a product through our links, we may receive a small portion of the sale, which supports Gear Patrol. So…don’t hold back. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
One Thing to Watch
That Guy from Mythbusters