• National Stare At the Sun Day 2017: Today, a wide swath of America will experience a full solar eclipse. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event: the last time a full eclipse orbited coast to coast was in 1918; depending on where you live, the next one may not happen for another 375 years. Here’s everything you need to know about today’s eclipse.
• You Missed It: Here’s last week’s gear news.
• More Gear: To get this briefing, other Gear Patrol stories and exclusive offers directly to your inbox, subscribe to Gear Patrol’s daily or weekly newsletter.
What’s New, Now
Arc’teryx Monitor Down Coat
The warmest jacket in Arc’teryx’s 2017 Veilance collection contains 850-fill European goose down channeled into sleek, near-invisible chambers. Its 70-denier nylon and Gore-Tex Pro shell provide breathable protection from the harshest winter conditions. Additionally, taped seams and minimalist styling create a modern, urban look; the technical features, however, far outweigh its cosmopolitan leanings.
Fancy Water On Tap
Aarke Sparkling Water Maker: Only for the most discerning bubbly water aficionados. (We’re pretty sure no such person exists, but oh well.)
Leather Boots and Classic White Tee Required to Ride
Ducati Urban Enduro: Sure, it’s “urban.” But it’s a country boy at heart.
The Blackest Black
NanoLab Singularity Black Paint: Remember Vantablack? That lab-created black paint so dark that it sucks up and devours all light, like a black hole? Singularity is essentially the same thing; unlike Vantablack, you can actually buy it. Courtesy of Jason Chase
Good for Design Museums, Or Your Nightstand
Foscarini Filo Table Lamp: A deconstructed table lamp. Yep.
Porsche’s Most Impressive Option
Porsche Braided Carbon Fiber Wheel: 18 pounds lighter and 20 percent stronger than conventional alloys.
Horse Brand Naval Knife with Leather Sheath
From the Gear Patrol Store: Brass and steel achieve a balanced harmony in this nautically inspired fixed blade from Horse Brand. The drop-point blade is forged from corrosion-resistant 440c stainless steel and finished with a Scandinavian Grind that runs the length of the blade and is easy to sharpen and maintain whether in the field or at sea.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on Faherty apparel, Teva sandals and a Patagonia backpack.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• Is the Essential Phone the most ambitious smartphone ever? Several tech writers weighs in.
• You don’t have long to snag Todd Snyder’s ultra-rare Timex military watch before it’s gone forever.
• Target’s new line of style basics is surprisingly well-done. Consider us sold.
• Pre-ground, pre-measured coffee beans are your new morning hack.
• Heard of Wild Bunch boots? You will soon.
Note: If you purchase a product through our links, we may receive a small portion of the sale, which supports Gear Patrol. So…don’t hold back. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
One Thing to Watch
What Is This Newfangled Gadgetry?