• Home of the… Lame?: A recent survey shows that in the minds of expatriates, the United States is becoming a less desirable place to live and work. The survey asked 12,500 expatriates of 166 nationalities about their adoptive country’s perceived friendliness to foreigners and political stability; this year, the U.S. fell to 54th place, down 21 spots from last year. The top three countries are Bahrain, Costa Rica and Mexico.
• You Missed It: Here’s yesterday’s gear news.
• More Gear: To get this briefing, other Gear Patrol stories and exclusive offers directly to your inbox, subscribe to Gear Patrol’s daily or weekly newsletter.
What’s New, Now
Logitech MX ERGO Trackball Mouse
For the first time in almost ten years, the Trackball back. And it’s surprisingly un-gimmicky.
Patagonia Micro Puff Hoody
At 9.3 ounces, the Micro Puff is Patagonia’s lightest jacket ever. It also has the best warmth-to-weight ratio of any jacket in Patagonia’s current line.
Bowers & Wilkins 702 S2 Floorstander Speaker
A standout in Bowers & Wilkins’ new 700 Series, a collection of speakers and audio equipment intended to bring studio-quality sound to your living room.
At Auction: Movie Props and Costumes
Bid on amazing movie props from Alien, 300, 28 Days Later, Pulp Fiction, the Indiana Jones films and more.
The HODINKEE Magazine, Volume 1
One of our favorite independent publications is launching a biannual print magazine. Power to ya, Hodinkee. Your rabid watch enthusiasts loyal readers are lucky to have you.
Book flights immediately and pay them in installments over time, with zero upfront cost. Sign up now to secure your spot in line to receive early access.
Yema Rallygraf Date Andretti
From the Gear Patrol Store: An essential piece of timing equipment since the earliest days of motorsports. It seems there was a chronograph for every driver, each one favoring a particular brand and model. Formula 1 legends Derek Bell, Jochen Rindt, and Jo Siffert favored Heuer, and Jim Clark was often seen sporting a Gallet. Actor and racing enthusiast Paul Newman wore a Rolex Daytona that has become so synonymous with him that collectors now know it as the “Paul Newman Daytona.”
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on a Todd Snyder band-collar shirt, a Yakima bike rack and a Basin and Range sleeping bag.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• These are the seven types of dress shoes every man should own.
• Tablets and laptops not your jam? Get a great all-in-one computer.
• Patagonia’s new Micro Puff jacket is the lightest in the company’s history.
• Eight of the best new gadgets spotted at IFA 2017, one of the biggest consumer electronics trade shows in the world.
• Misen’s stainless steel cookware is some of the best you’ll find, and it’s incredibly affordable.
Note: If you purchase a product through our links, we may receive a small portion of the sale, which supports Gear Patrol. So…don’t hold back. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
One Thing to Watch
Weird Weather We’re Having, Eh?
Follow Gear Patrol on Instagram:
Lots to Like
Symbol Audio has been crafting high-quality audio products from the ground up since 2012. Unlike other audio companies making hi-fi equipment, their design cues are based on furniture design, making every piece as beautiful as it is functional and high-performing. Shop their products now in the Gear Patrol Store. (?:@chase_pellerin)