• Take the Gray Road: In an effort to combat climate change and record-breaking heat, the city of Los Angeles, California, is painting its streets a different color. The special gray “CoolSeal” paint reflects considerably more sunlight than traditional black tarmac, resulting in up to 12 degrees Fahrenheit of cooling.
• You Missed It: Here’s last week’s gear news.
• More Gear: To get this briefing, other Gear Patrol stories and exclusive offers directly to your inbox, subscribe to Gear Patrol’s daily or weekly newsletter.
What’s New, Now
Limited Edition YORK Athletics Mfg. x Champion Fighter Hoodie
When Champion invented the hoodie in the ’30s, it was intended for athletes and laborers who wanted protection from the elements. Decades later, the hoodie resurged into an iconic garment of popular culture. It became the uniform of iconoclasts, the regalia of fighters. This rebellious spirit is imbued in the Fighter Hoodie, an extremely limited-edition collaboration between Champion and YORK Athletics Mfg., a Boston-based company with deep roots in boxing. Featuring heavyweight black cotton, a reflective chest logo, “FOR FIGHTERS” on the left arm and “FAMILY FIRST’ on the waistband, the Fighter Hoodie is made for fighters, as all hoodies should be.
Dunhill Suede Sneakers
Red carpet-ready tennis shoes, handcrafted in Italy with the finest calfskin suede.
S-ZONE Waterproof Waxed Canvas Duffel
Similar name-brand styles typically go for several hundred dollars. This one costs just $40.
This Is Ground Plug Pack
Neatly organizes your electrical knickknacks: laptop chargers, charging cables, USB plugs, earbuds, batteries and whatever else.
Toes on the Nose Sea Silk Schooner Hoodie
Drop into autumn weather with this surfwear-inspired lightweight hoodie, made with a special blend of polyster, rayon and spandex.
Duke Cannon News Anchor Pomade
I’ll spare you the Ron Burgundy quips. This pomade has a matte finish, a medium-to-strong hold, hair-nourishing protein and subtle scents of sandalwood and citrus. Don’t act like you’re not impressed. (Sorry, couldn’t help myself.)
Joshu + Vela Zip Briefcase In Olive
From the Gear Patrol Store: This cotton twill number was made in San Francisco and sports four exterior pockets, a laptop sleeve, and vegetable-tanned leather handles and shoulder strap.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on a Barebones lantern, Tommy Hilfiger apparel and Nespresso coffee machines.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• The iPhone 8 will be announced this week. Here’s what to expect.
• This elegantly simple field watch is surprisingly inexpensive.
• Looking vintage Japanese cars, either to buy or just to gawk at? We found ’em for you.
Note: If you purchase a product through our links, we may receive a small portion of the sale, which supports Gear Patrol. So…don’t hold back. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
One Thing to Watch
Is There a Nobel Prize in Woodworking?