Beerdom Has Spoken
The 100 Best Breweries in the World, According to RateBeer
As it does every January, RateBeer, one of the world’s leading resource for beer reviews along with BeerAdvocate and Untapped, just unveiled its much-anticipated list of the 100 best breweries in the world.
The Top 10
1. Hill Farmstead Brewery (Greensboro, VT)
2. Russian River Brewing (Santa Rosa, CA)
3. Trillium Brewing Company (Boston, MA)
4. Cigar City Brewing (Tampa, FL)
5. Tree House Brewing Company (Charlton, MA)
6. AleSmith Brewing Company (San Diego, CA)
7. Three Floyds Brewing Company (Munster, IN)
8. New Glarus Brewing Company (New Glarus, WI)
9. Side Project Brewing (Maplewood, MO)
10. Sante Adairius Rustic Ales (Capitola, CA)
Hill Farmstead Brewery takes the top spot for the fifth consecutive year, while Russian River Brewing, the California brewery behind Pliny the Elder, clocks in at number two. Noticeably absent is The Alchemist, a Vermont brewery best known for its beers Heady Topper and Focal Banger.
Interestingly, only 27 percent of breweries in the top 100 come from outside the US, but the figure may suggest a bias to how the list is generated. RateBeer leans on user-generated reviews, not a panel of judges, to determine which breweries are up to snuff.
According to RateBeer, “The summarization is based on ten different weighted scales that place an emphasis on reviews of the past year and top performing beers but also includes historical all-around performance, a brewer’s range of performance across styles, and other factors to compare newer and older, larger and smaller brewers under a single method of processing.”
Curious if your favorite brewery made the cut? Click on the button below.