Good morning. Last week, the discovery of seven Earth-sized planets not far from our galaxy sent the whole world into a tizzy. (Aliens!!!) But how are scientists able to tell distant spheres of rock and gas from planets that may harbor life? What makes an exoplanet? Here’s an excellent breakdown of the science behind exoplanet discovery. And here’s what’s been discovered in gear.
• Here’s a reminder of yesterday’s gear news.
• Tune in on Facebook Live today at 12 p.m. EST to see some of the cool new gear in our office.
• Want this briefing via email? Subscribe to the Gear Patrol Dispatch.
What’s New, Now
XTRATUF Kryptek Ankle Deck Boot
Alaskan and Pacific Northwestern folks have known for a while that anyone splitting time between the shore and the open sea needs proper footwear. Featuring Kryptek’s innovative camo designs, XTRATUF’s fishing and saltwater lifestyle boot is engineered to be as capable on land as it is on a cold, slippery trawler deck. Inside, a 1mm Neoprene XpressCool bootie keeps feet cool in warm weather and securely comfortable from the first time you pull them on.
Saturdays NYC Grooming Collection
The casually stylish guys at Saturdays NYC have extended the cool to a new line of grooming products. Two years in the making, the line of products was carefully created with grooming legend Rodney Cutler (a long-time Esquire grooming columnist). Try each product individually, or mix a “cocktail” that suits your needs best. – Matthew Ankeny, Deputy Managing Editor
Patagonia 850 Down Sleeping Bag
Forty-five years in the making can’t be wrong.
Nik Schultz Vintage Audio Component T-Shirts
Show the world your inner audiophile with these three graphic tees: one with a receiver, one with a cassette deck and one with a reel-to-reel recorder. For full effect, rock ’em with a pair of hi-fi headphones.
Hong Kong Beer Co. Betsy
In collaboration with Hong Kong Beer Co., Cathay Pacific Airlines is launching a beer designed specifically for in-flight consumption.
To Boot New York Calf Leather Backpacks
To the happy little Italian calf who supplied the gorgeous leather on this NYC-made backpack — thank you. Your spirit lives on through men and women with places to go, things to carry, people to impress.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on Nike shoes, a Big Agnes sleeping pad and an Xbox One S.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• From Issue Three of Gear Patrol Magazine: We went dogsledding in Sweden’s arctic north to test some of the most rugged expedition gear available.
• The Land Rover Discovery is back, and it’s better than ever.
• Meet Jeremy Davis, the man restoring old Rolexes to their former glory.
• We go inside Amangiri, a monolithic $1,500-a-night hotel in a remote Utah desert.
• Need formal attire for a classy night on the town? Here’s your perfect outfit.
• The easiest way to become a better chef: a salt cellar.
Note: Stories published on Gear Patrol may contain links to buy products sold in our curated store as well as by third party retail destinations. Items purchased through the GP store help directly support editorial initiatives. In some cases, we may also receive a small commission for the online customers we refer to external retailers. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
Next Page: Happy Hour Talking Points and One Thing to Watch