Beerdom Has Spoken
The 100 Best Breweries in the World, According to RateBeer
As it does at the beginning of every year, RateBeer, one of the world’s leading resource for beer reviews along with BeerAdvocate and Untapped, just unveiled its much-anticipated list of the 100 best breweries in the world.
The Top 10
1. Hill Farmstead Brewery (Greensboro, VT)
2. Side Project Brewing (Maplewood, MO)
3. Trillium Brewing Company (Boston, MA)
4. Tree House Brewing Company (Charlton, MA)
5. Cigar City Brewing (Tampa, FL)
6. AleSmith Brewing Company (San Diego, CA)
7. Founders Brewing Company (Grand Rapids, MI)
8. Cloudwater Brew Co (Manchester, Greater Manchester, England)
9. Sante Adairius Rustic Ales (Capitola, CA)
10. Firestone Walker Brewing (Paso Robles, CA)
Hill Farmstead Brewery in Greensboro, Vermont takes the top ranking for the seventh year in a row, while Missouri’s Side Project Brewing jumped up from ninth in 2018 to second for 2019. There are some noticeable absentees in the top 100, including The Alchemist, who makes Heady Topper and Focal Banger (two highly sought after and well-loved beers).
Interestingly, only 35 percent of breweries in the top 100 come from outside the US, but the figure may suggest a bias to how the list is generated. RateBeer leans on user-generated reviews, not a panel of judges, to determine which breweries are up to snuff.
According to RateBeer, “Performance for the year 2019 was highly weighted while 4 years of our catalog was also considered in our ranking.”
Curious if your favorite brewery made the list? Click the button below to see the full results.